Saturday, May 15, 2010

Chicken Chettinad - Recipe

Cooking makes me happy. Very !
I feel I'm a good cook. I have people to vouch for that. It began with trying to survive in a flat with 7 hungry girls tired of the food we were being served. It was aloo (potato) with lot's of tomato and bit too much of tumeric powder. Ughh - ness.
We all learn. Eventually. Probably it also helps that I have some of the most amazing cooks related to me - Aunt and Maternal Grandmother.
Cooking and creating something yummy is cathartic for me. Very cathartic. I lose the urge to cry and I feel the need to stand over the kitchen counter with my chin up and shoulders straight.
I refuse to learn to knead the dough and make roti/parathas/chappattis. But i'll make you some good egg curry, chicken, pasta, thai and konkani food !
Currently I'm living with 2 of the awesomest cooks; also superbly passionate about the food they eat and create or are fed. With none of them at home - I decided to take a shot at Chicken Chettinad.
The Chettinad cuisine is characterized by it's liberal use of spices and oil that comes from the kitchens of the Chettiars. It is one of the rare non - vegetarian cuisines of Tamil Nadu (South India).
Anyhow this is how my chicken chettinad came into existence with the help of SK who is a recently made friend at the home of Ying and Yang.
Cardamom, Cinnamon Sticks, Coconut, Haldi, Methi seeds, Cloves and a little bit of water into the grinder. Thick paste it has to become. Then fry the finely chopped onions in ghee. Once the colour begins to change - add garlic and ginger pieces. After 5 minutes - add the previously ground spices paste. Finely chopped tomatoes to be added once the onions, garlic and ginger seem to have mixed well with the spices paste. Eventually add the chicken (boneless or not) and a little bit of water. Put in curry leaves (one of my favorite ingredients).
You will be a happy child !

Happy cooking :)

1 comment:

  1. yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm u gotta make this for me when i come there!!!!!!!!!!!!! luv ya!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete