Thursday, July 15, 2010

Happy - ness II

Continuing -

Fish - Cooked in any form. By anybody. It does not leave the taste of meat (chicken, beef, pork and mutton) badly made. Fish fry is yummy. It is soothing. Does not take long to cook. And contrary to what many say, it does not stink ! I can give up many pleasures of life but this is difficult. Makes me happy no.

My books - I got into the habit of reading because my momma thought I would be an under achiever and never do well in school. It began with Enid Blyton and R.L Stein, The Babysitters' Club, Sweet Valley High and Archie Comics. Summer vacations included shopping for second hand books at CP and Jayanagar 4th block. I eventually went through a phase of Indian writers. Then moved on to Autobiographies. Now I read anything I can lay my hands on. Books like movies take me to a different world. I love how sometimes I feel the existence of an almost parallel universe !

Bollywood movies - The idea of hero and heroine being in love, fighting with the bad fellows, crying in the rains, dancing around trees or on top of mountains. The images of friends breaking up and eventually meeting after years, of big family feuds. The songs of the big fat Indian weddings, of "almost making out" in the gardens. Sigh ! I have been judged many times before for believing in something that truly is almost non existent. I have also been laughed at for adoring the characters and remembering the lyrics. But - that's just me ! Because it's not reality - it's more or less cathartic and it makes me forget my worries. For those few hours atleast. There is colour, music, dance, love, fights, hatred and everything. Masala is what it's aptly called !

Photography - Memories are yes encoded and stored in our minds. But having a copy of it, also, well - makes it better ! I love the funny ulta poolta types, the b & w pretty ones, those that say a lot just by the expressions of those in them ! I love family pictures and those of our pets. I like looking at pictures the following morning after a sooper fun evening. I enjoy being photographed too !

Weddings - I admire those who manage to take a tough and important call about wanting to spend the rest of their lives together. I love all that goes into planning and preparing for a wedding. I love being part of the happiest days of their lives. The traditions and customs that go into binding souls, lives and families together - are intriguing. The colours, tears of joy, madness and fun ! All of it makes me happy. My favourite part of every wedding is the standard ritual that involves only the bride and her father. It may be - walking down the aisle, the kanyadaan, the sitting on his lap while the groom ties the symbolic taali ( mangalsutra). I enjoy watching and observing people who are witnessing this beginning of a new journey. It amazes me how some people make the effort to fly across continents and seas to be part of this happy occasion. It maybe the quintessential big fat Indian wedding or the small Arya Samaj type ceremony (people have no choice but to take part in the ceremonies) - I love it all. With my friends and cousins - nearing the "marriageable age" I'm getting more excited; to be part of it all !

Dancing - I am a good dancer. I know. Dancing let's me be ! A little mental and a little crazy. Give me any song and I'll dance. For the longest time I wanted to be a choreographer. I actually thought I would I could have but I shrugged it off as a "childhood nonsense type ambition." The rhythm gets me moving and the jiggy wiggy is fun. Whether it is the Bollywood or Punjabi, Hip Hop or Salsa, Freestyle or Porki - all of it makes me happy. I also believe it's a great way to lose weight and have some fun while doing so. I love getting all pretty and dressed up, heels and no bag to carry. Just dancing. I can dance with or without a partner or company ! Conventionally or otherwise. Someday dancing in the middle of Brigrade Road shall happen.

Chocolates - The ingredients apparently gives you a high. Now that has never happened. But it's yummy. More tasty when it gets all messy and licking of fingers happen. Aphrodisiac ? Again, not so sure about that ! But it's a great way to beat one's hunger and get more pimples while putting on more weight. The hot chocolate fudge at Corner House and Nirula's (ONLY) makes me a happy child. The Lindt dark chocolate and my louve aunty's chocolate brownies can make me have some serious cravings issues ! The universal louve for chocolate is not overrated although much has been said and debated about it's medical implications - it's just much respected and almost revered. It plays a very important role in our lives from the time we are born till we go away. It has often been used as a token of reinforcement, conditioning for children and adults too ! With strawberries, as candies, for our baked goods and even in our beverages ! It's chocolate all the way !

Psychology - I have been associated with this subject for the last 7 years now - academically. But I feel we have had a connection for years. The study of the human psyche is not only scary but very interesting. It's amazing yet not surprising how most people you meet think that you have this ability to read their minds. This subject has taught me to be patient, observant, non judgmental, open. It has been my guiding force to leading a relatively sane life amidst a lot of "cacophony." It has helped me deal and survive. Most importantly it has given me a reason to believe in mankind (although I still remain cynical with respect to a lot going on). I can talk about psychology to anybody at anytime. I hope to teach it someday to a group of eager and knowledge hungry kids. I hope to also continue researching a few topics close to my heart. Till then - I'll have to be satisfied with my collection of general, abnormal, counselling, industrial psychology books !

Flying Without Wings - It's my space ! My zone. I vent and I write. I convey and I communicate. It has helped. It may have ruined. But it's what makes me happy !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 comments:

  1. Nicer one than the previous post. More detailed & meaningful. Felt weird when i read about ur friends being of marriageable age. Aiyoo-ness. Tension also little. & you want to teach Psychology ok... But where you'll find eager and knowledge hungry kids i dunno. All the best for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with VK. Its better than the prev. Especially about the weddings. It makes me happy too! :)

    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great read!! n real feel good types!! in moments of weakness, anger, pain n sorrow; a post like this is almost sure to cheer one up!

    ReplyDelete