Sunday, July 25, 2010

It's not about Happy Endings !

I watched 500 Days of Summer a while ago. I then asked a ponjee to watch it who though of it as boring, slow and silly. Then. And still maintains that opinion.
A few weeks ago the boy with a new camera and Gandalf watched it. They said it was "sighness". I couldn't agree more. Then.
I watched it again yesterday. Something just didn't seem right. Somehow it didn't bring the same feelings as it did earlier. And then, I thought about it - a lot ! Well, it could be my cynicism or disillusionment coming to the forefront as I write what I think about the situation Summer and Hansen get themselves into. Or it could be how I've felt for a while !

It doesn't have to be about happy endings all the time. Agreed. It's most often about moving on. But moving on - away from what ? And moving towards what ?

Hansen hoped and prayed this would work. He was in "love". He though he was.
She let him into his world. So what ? We all do that ! He gave it his everything. Why ? It got messy eventually. It had to. He wanted it so badly and made himself believe that at some point she would feel the same way. But she didn't.
Summer told him "I'm not looking for anything serious." He knew. But he let himself "fall in love" with her. She always brushed aside any inclination towards "the talk" and that should have been his clue. But no ! We always let ourselves believe and see only what we know would give us comfort and peace of mind. Sleepy says "he had to take the plunge"; but really did he have to ?Summer didn't think love or relationships existed. So why then ?

Hoping, wishing and wanting is all fine - but at some point we have to learn to be practical. We have to learn to prevent ourselves from being wounded. Healing takes a while. We'll be healed - somehow or the other but it doesn't negate the fact that we were wounded at one point.

I also hold the opinion that "Love" is not impulsive. It's not an action. I'm not quite sure what it is. But I know it's not impulsive. She should have stopped him from falling in love with her. Somehow. She should have walked away once the signs came in. Early !
I appreciate Jamie Sullivan's request to Landon Carter to promise her "Not to fall in love with me".
But it's always easier said than done.
Shah Rukh Khans says "Dil ki khata bhi hai kya ? Usne kiya bhi hai kya ? Is dillagi ke siva, dil ko pataa bhi hai kya; Aashiq hai yeh chor nahi hai, Main kya karoon; Dil pe koi zor nahi hain main kya karoon !"
"How is it the heart's fault ? What has it done ? Besides loving, the hearts knows nothing; It's a lover and not a thief, What can I do; I have no control over it, What can I do !"

We tell ourselves that you won't let it happen. But Goddamn emotions. Our stoopidity only no.

Hansen tells Summer "you always do what you want to, don't you" - but don't we all ? Are we all not selfish in a lot of ways. It's our happiness and sanity hence, the use of defence mechanisms.
We've all been there, done that at some point to/with someone. It always comes around in a full circle.

I hope Hansen's "Autumn" didn't have to bear the brunt of it all !

2 comments:

  1. so much talk over this movie! but what ur mulling over is more important... those questions to which there are several answers! here's to hoping everyone finds their own answers! cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. movies are supposed to be make believe (except for true life stories)...u dont exactly wanna go see ur life story (or all ur failed relationships) in one movie...thts why ppl mostly like happy endings...

    ReplyDelete