Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Of Traveille !

There's something about being on the move, of packing up and just hitting the road. Rucksacks with bare essentials sometimes and super exclusive travel bags for our luxuries at other times. Stepping on the accelerator, or being a pillion or settling down for some good ol' country road bus drives or train journeys or tucking away in the whir of an aircraft that whizzes us away to happiness is just something we all do, whether rarely or regularly. Hence traveling and going places is so much a part of our lives, so much so that the concept of not indulging in this activity does not exist.

People always ask me whether I'm a mountain person or a beach person. And this is a question that I don't have an answer to and perhaps never will. I have tried making this choice to see what my preference may indeed be, to no avail. I don't think I can ever make that choice. Mountains have their share of enigma, mysticism and beauty. To make my way past winding roads moving higher and higher to reach peaks amidst clouds and mist is something I cannot describe. Mountains encompass forests, richness, beauty and a diversity of so much our world has to offer us that picking individual aspects of this experience doesn't make sense.

And then driving along a beach to watch the endless sea, boundless in time, space and charm brings me to the other end of the spectrum. To just watch the waves play their game, to dive into the sea, to have the wind crash against me or to just walk along the coastline has its own sense of peace. The roughness of the sand, the harshness of the salt hitting my eyes, the gasp for my breath when a wave overpowers me makes a beach experience what it is. Not to forget the sunrises and sunsets. And seastorms of course!

Sprinkle in good company, food, spirits and all that makes an experience complete, and voila!

Travel = a pure form of joy and bliss which is something nothing else can compensate for!

And the best part is that these become parts of our bigger journeys as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The writer was my classmate and is currently teaching at a "prestigious" institution in the city. She loves to travel, photograph, write while sighing, planning and dreaming. A sooperly enthu and spontaneous child who enjoys her space and comfort zone ! You can read what she has to offer at http://babushka-myjourney.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

  1. I hear what your friend is saying being a fellow wanderer myself! An excellent post. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a perfect piece for u N! u r blessed with great friends!
    thanks B!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww... thanks you guys! do visit me blog and share! :)

    ReplyDelete