Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Two and a Half Months of...

I thought to myself - why not go away. Like literally just go ! It's possible, it happens all the time. Why ? Because I wanted to be. Really be.
Asked many people to help. They wondered. I had my reasons. Finally I'm told that it's Gurgaon. I'm elated - Family and Friend(s). Also, new city, new town, different culture, lot's to learn and finally going to be a part of the crazy work world.
Went. Felt good. Felt different.

B and I have grown up together. We have been friends from the time we learnt Arabic to swimming to going out alone without an adult to talking to boys ! We hadn't seen each other in 9 years until October 2009. I'm glad I made that trip. It showed and proved that distance makes the heart grow fonder ;-) and that some things never change. We hadn't changed. We probably are wiser but really not grown up ! We giggled and laughed. We caught up on all that we had missed. Hence, my obvious choice for a home would have been with her and her wonderful family. The bangu is crazy but sooper adorable. The lil sister worries me because she has grown up and is getting all responsible. The mother; well is like any other mother - loving, caring and a great cook. The papa is uber cool and sooper funny plus we had our IPL moments.

Would go to work in a cycle rickshaw through the dusty and not so nice roads with the mean honkers carrying dabba of lunch. Wondered what would it be like to be "corporatized". Sitting at a desk and having one's own computer. Office gossip. Tea and lunch breaks. Long meetings. Conference calls. Projects and deadlines. Bosses - ugh ! Well, it was a wonderful experience. Made some amazing friends. Learnt a lot. Not everything in this world is fair. Had to face the wrath of a very moody and conceited lady heading the team. Food sharing sessions I will miss. Wearing smart formal attire and having one's own landline with my name blinking on the screen - I will miss.

It was supposed to be the "being" time as I said earlier. But as luck may have it - B school friends dropped by; not just for a holiday but to work as well. This meant trips to the city. To drink and make merry. To dhabas and drives. House parties had awesome food, great rounds and our fav youtube videos. Never slept until next day morning but not before a thela gaadi chai outing.
We took gastronomical journeys mostly at Khan Market - the shawarmas, Mississippi mud pie, kakori kebabs and De Paul's. Nizam's at CP and for the benefit of a nice tall Punjabi even Saravana Bhawan. The Andhra Bhawan meal made me feel at home - being surrounded by many fellow South Indians and eating with hands :)
Made new friends and strengthened some old relationships. Befriended a half n half South Indian, fellow Konkani Brahmin, a pretty smart Kashmiri environmentalist and a very responsible Bengali (who complained about us spoiling him).
Shopped at Janpath and Dilli haat - slippers and bangles. New wallet too. Galleria visits - hazelnut chocolate shakes and Momos; Sakley's and Crazy Noodle house. TGIF and of course Rockman's. The MDI succulent chicken rolls - cravings will happen soon !
We always managed to end up at places where the service charges were so high, but we were too gone to realize then and felt the pinch only the next morning - took bills and made accounts. Watched the finals and discovered a very potent drink. Traveled in a car with leather seats and it roared, in a car with no headlights but cracks on the windshield, in the ever awesome Santro.
A car broke down mid way but yet we managed to have fun with Mc Donald's picnic and Cleo. There was an argument but all was forgotten as Gandalf refused to notice the seriousness of the situation. There was finally a trip to the Qutub Minar and movies - Alice in Wonderland and Shrek III.

There were conversations, discussions, laughter, bitchy sessions, flowers, heart melting happiness, music and sigh - ness. Always.

Stayed with family. Never imagined I would have so much fun with Ying and Yang. Loved the room and the big big bed with many pillows. Loved the pampering of SK. Loved the cooking sessions and the amazing evenings at the Balcony. Made so much fun of people we knew and didn't know. Discovered that I make awesome LIITs and good Kamakazee shots. Got introduced to a different music culture and understood to a very large extent what LIFE is all about. Took a trip to the hills and wished I never had to return.

This was supposed to be an uneventful time away from home. But so much happened and will continue to happen that it's hard to imagine what I could have wanted otherwise.
More memories will be made to keep us warm. More trips will be made to make new friends and strengthen old ties. Happy hours will continue to happen.

For as long as we live - fun shall never end.

I'm glad to be home. To be in my comfort zone. I now say that - You will be missed. Terribly. Thank you Delhi and Gurgaon. I will be back !

3 comments:

  1. nothing to say. just that i <3 you!!! delhi will miss the beautiful fun called kiki.
    B!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Would love to keep this and read it when I'm like 40 and remember what being young was all about :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. B - The fun never ends. I'll be back ! You know it.

    CHB - Print it. Store it safely in a box with a lock :)

    ReplyDelete