Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sisters for the Soul !

Someone is holding my hair back. The other is wiping my tears. Another is just laughing. For a second, while I was trying not to faint due to the exhaustion of emptying my insides, I'm grateful - for that I have them in my life !

My Girlfriends.

Whether it's sharing of clothes, footwear, food, money, accessories, stories, gossip; nothing beats the relationship and bond between a set of girls. Every time a memory surfaces - the first day at school/college, first boyfriend/fling, first kiss, first heartbreak, first graduation, first success story, first failure, first accident, first night out - what stands out is the umpteen conversations over the phone, through smses, skype, gtalk, BBM, coffee, ice cream, teas; dissecting every word, every expression. These conversations can never be had with a man ! It is about understanding another woman's perspective and knowing that she probably gets what you're saying - sometimes ending in being over concerned for you.

It's a standing joke amongst men - women like to visit the washroom in groups ! At the table - a woman will look across to another woman and ask "You wanna go to the loo?"; Men marvel at how this works especially if two women have just met each other half an hour ago ! It intrigues most men to know what goes on during hours long conversations over the telephone across seas, at shopping spree sessions, washroom encounters, etc !

Women love to chat. Talk. Converse and yes ofcourse Gossip. I call these - story telling sessions. We need to talk. About everything. News about who got married to whom and how. The latest store openings. The latest good looking boy in our lives. The latest break up. The latest mad mental mistakes we are so prone to making all the time. We need to talk about our families, homes, relationships, work, and our angst. We need to vent. One can feel fully and truly staisfied when we know that other woman gets that we are talking about and feeling the same way.

I have very few girlfriends; all over the place. Just enough. I am joined to them by a thread and bond that goes beyond geographical boundaries. We probably don't talk everyday or for weeks and months together - yet we can meet one fine day and begin from where we last left each other. I may not be part of a BBM group chat but I can still send a wall post if I get a craving for chicken ghee roast and know that she wishes she was here. One may not be able to talk to me for days despite being in the same city - yet I know that she worries for me. Trips for weddings and surprise birthday parties will be made. Finally save money and go to Greece as well. We hold each other when we cry over a loss. We laugh at each other's stupidity. We have fought and learnt to let go. We have forgiven and moved on. We have pictures to remind us of how awesome our lives have been because of this sisterhood.

We have codes too !

We will have bridesmaids. We will hold each other's hands during pain because of a tattoo or child birth. We make it a point to not judge. But, to be there in that quiet, strong way !

My girl ponjees are a different dimension to my crazy life. They are the calming and mad aspect of my existence. Our experiences to together, words, advice, hugs helps us sleep better at night.

They are a part of me. They have contributed and continue to contribute in every way possible to make me - Me !

6 comments:

  1. brilliant!!! just what i needed to read!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww. How sweetly you write. & today Sex & the City 2! Full sisterly love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i thought i'd never comment. what to do! this is so perfect. love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love ya...you put my thoughts on paper...your wonderfull...I loved it!

    ReplyDelete