Thursday, October 28, 2010

The anti-mush Brigade

When asked to write a guest piece for Kiki’s blog, it took me very little time to figure out what I needed to write about. Kiki’s writing always reminds me of Carrie Bradshaw with her take on love and friends. So I decided to take the plunge and write about it from my own perspective- love in a cynic’s life.


There are many things I have learnt about love and relationships in the last few months, most of which were completely unexpected. People always tell you that finding the one person for you is all hogwash and a little while back, I would also have been the one who was most vehement about the fact that there was no such thing as a perfect guy. But now I will admit, there are guys who come pretty darn close to what you want. And I found him. He was mature, he could talk for hours about Arundhati Roy, he was incredibly intelligent and knew all the obscure English words which made my geeky self go weak in the knees.

My biggest lesson or revelation from this relationship so far has been how capable I am of romance. I have been aware of my cynicism with the world around me for quite a few years now and was fairly certain I had no space or time for romance or love in the traditional sense. I have now been educated in the art of romance and been part of way too many ‘Aww’ moments than I would like to admit on a public forum.


I believe that the girls of our generation are faced with a very unique problem indeed. We have been taught to have a certain disdain for romance in our lives. The girls of today are wary of clichés and more than once have told our friends ‘Oh my god, will you look at that? He is crowding her space with all these flowers and gifts’. Yet, I believe that all of us secretly yearn for a little bit of romance in our lives.

I have heard that romance is a kind of excitement that in people in love experience. In our lives filled with the quest for practicality have we lost track of romance? Are we all closet romantics who hide behind the veneer of realists?

For every girl who says ‘Are you serious? How clichéd is that? How could she possibly be with someone as mushy and wimpy? Is there one deep within her who says Aww. He cares enough to do something like that for her; I wish someone would do that for me’


Here’s to all the romance-averse, closet romantics of my generation, let’s choose to give romance a little space in our lives.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The writer is a soon to-be B-school graduate who loves Rasam, LOTR, The Beatles, FB gossip and her latest inked art. You can catch her at http://archaicallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

1 comment: